Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bicycling gloves - why?


Experiance cyclists know the value of a pair of good cycling gloves. However, people new to cycling many times ignore the importance of a pair of cycling gloves. So heres an attempt.

1. One of the primary reason to wear gloves is the cushoning they provide.This is especially helpfull in indian conditions. Built-in cushioning in the palms absorbs road vibration and shock thereby reducing discomfort, and general fatigue.

2. From a safety perspective, they are probably the most important piece of apparel after an helmet. On an event of a crash, a good pair of gloves will save your palm. Last year I had one of those when I landed straight on my palm and skidded through. My gloves were part shredded and I couldn't move my wrist for the next few days, but they saved me from something that could have been much much worse.

3. When you are riding for long, your palm will tend to get sweaty. This will affect your grip on the handlebar. Most gloves will absorb sweat from your palm keeping it dry, in the process improving your grip.


When trying on gloves, open and close your fist to see how they feel. A good fitting glove is snug but not overly tight.

Reference :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_glove
http://bicycling.about.com/od/bikeequipmentaccessories/a/bike_gloves.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment